Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another Countdown

As my countdown continues to my own wordly adventure, I will turn my focus for just a quick moment to the another place of much attention right now, that has absolutely nothing french about it. ahem. Canada, the host of the upcoming 2010 World Olmypics.
At this moment, there are 5 days, 5 hours and 55 minutes until the start of the games.

Watching the news last night, I discovered there are so many great stories about this year's competing athletes.
Check out the Canada's best female hockey player in the white jersey #21. Here's what she has to say about the following incident:

"It was really blown out of proportion up here, but I'd had enough, and that hit in particular got to me," Wickenheiser said of the headlock heard 'round Canada. "He was taking liberties, and their whole team had been talking. I had to do something, but that might happen two or three times out of 50 games against guys."


-----------------------------------------------


Here's our local celebrity right now, hailing from The Woodlands, TX the 2006 Olympic Gold Medalist Chad Hendrick. Although the video isn't that interesting  but the You Tube's users comments below the clip are fairly heated.



-----------------------------------------------

The following was taken from the LA Times olympic blog.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olympics_blog/

Lindsey Vonn's Sports Illustrated cover shot skis into controversy
"It appears some sophomoric individuals have a problem with this week's cover of Sports Illustrated.

The cover features a shot of American alpine skier Lindsey Vonn, a favorite to win multiple gold medals at next week's Winter Olympic Games, in what could be considered as a sexually provocative pose.

I can honestly say that I didn't notice the sexual connotation of the photo until someone pointed it out to me. In fact, I think the staged photo is more corny than sexually suggestive.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time a magazine with a large male readership has used sex appeal to promote a female Olympic athlete. Sports Illustrated is known for its swimsuit issues, so maybe this is a ploy to play up the Games.

What do you think? Is the photo sexually suggestive or do some people have overactive imaginations?"

No comments:

Post a Comment